The Scotland Women in Technology (SWiT) awards will seek to champion and celebrate women, and the companies and networks around them, who are achieving success in Scotland’s tech sectors.
A spokesperson for SWiT said:
“Scotland has an abundance of fantastic female role models in technology, however no-one knows about them…yet. In order for us to make big changes and flood the technology talent pipeline with motivated and passionate females we need to celebrate all of the great work already being done and have an endless supply of role models for the future.”
There are already a number of technology awards held in Scotland, however SWiT believes that women are often underrepresented in every category. Their awards will be the first to focus on female candidates specifically, and will also showcase the work being done by women in the Education sector, “which is the most essential part of female technology talent pipeline.”
The awards are open to any individual or group operating in the technology sector or technology education in Scotland. They will seek to recognise those who possess the drive, commitment, and passion to further the technology agenda in Scotland.
“We need to inspire more young females to study technology subjects at schools and universities, and retain and grow the female technology talent we have across all companies in Scotland. Having role models is essential to this, and awards such as this provide those role models. We want to celebrate achievements that have not had the proper platform before, and socialise the nominees and winners widely across Scotland to inspire others.”
The Scotland Women in Technology Awards 2017 categories are as follows:
- One to Watch: Young female in education/further education/apprenticeship with passion and drive for technology and innovation
- Rising Star: A young woman (aged 26 or below) who is making a significant contribution to technology in Scotland and epitomises the technology role model for Scotland
- Primary Teacher of the Year: A teacher, or careers advisor, working in primary school who inspires girls to study technology subjects
- Secondary Teacher of the Year: Secondary school teacher, or careers advisor, who inspires girls to study and/or start a career in technology
- Inspirational Woman in Leadership: A woman who is a leader in her field and making a significant impact on her business, and for technology in Scotland
- Employer of the Year: An organisation who has demonstrated consistent commitment to advancing the careers of women in technology and sponsors initiatives to address gender imbalance in the workplace
- Gender Diversity Champion: An individual who champions gender equality in education and/or industry
- Technologist of the Year: An outstanding technologist in her field, be it software engineering, invention, product management, or start up founder. Someone who is making her mark on technology
- Technology Networking Group of the Year: A special recognition award for the voluntary groups operating in Scotland who offer support and more for women in technology
- Lifetime Achievement Award: A pioneering woman of Scotland with a lifetime of contributions to Technology in Scotland and beyond
Nominations are now open, and can be made through the SWiT website. A panel of judges selected from prominent members of the tech sector will receive a shortlist of candidates as decided by SWiT, with a list of final nominees for each category announced in October.
Individuals and groups can also reserve their place at the awards, with possible discounts available for students and those working in the education sector.