Site navigation

Huawei Chairman Speaks Out After New US Export Controls

Ross Kelly

,

Huawei

The Trump administration announced on Friday that chipmakers using American equipment will be barred from supplying Huawei.

Huawei chairman Guo Ping has criticised the US Government’s decision to impose new rules to prevent the tech giant from acquiring essential materials and goods.

Speaking at Huawei’s annual analyst summit in Shenzhen, Ping said: “We still haven’t figured it out. The US government still persists in attacking Huawei, but what will that bring to the world?”

The new export rules imposed by the US Government are the latest in a raft of efforts to curb the Chinese tech giant’s influence and reach.

The Trump administration announced on Friday that chipmakers using American equipment will be barred from supplying Huawei.

Huawei was already ‘blacklisted’ by the US Government last year, which meant that American companies and manufacturers were prevented from supplying the tech giant unless they were given a specific license. These latest controls further tighten the US’ grip on Huawei and its ability to manufacture smartphones and communications hardware.

According to reports, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co, one of the world’s largest contract chipmakers, has stalled new orders from Huawei following the decision.

Bloomberg reported on Sunday that Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei’s consumer division, took to WeChat to claim the new export controls are an attempt to maintain the US’ “technology hegemony”.

“The so-called cybersecurity reasons are merely an excuse,” Yu insisted.

In a statement responding to the new measures, Huawei said: “In its relentless pursuit to tighten its stranglehold on our company, the US Government has decided to proceed and completely ignore the concerns of many companies and associations.

“This decision was arbitrary and pernicious, and threatens to undermine the entire industry worldwide. This new rule will impact the expansion, maintenance, and continuous operations of networks worth hundreds of billions of dollars that we have rolled out in more than 170 countries.”

Recommended

China’s commerce ministry has also weighed in on the controversy, according to Reuters. In a statement on Sunday, the ministry said it was “firmly opposed” to the latest move by the United States and will take measures to protect the interest of Chinese companies.

“The US has utilised national power and used the so-called national security concerns as an excuse, and abused expert controls to continue to suppress some particular companies in other countries,” the commerce ministry stated yesterday.

The vocal response has raised fears over Chinese retaliation following the decision, which according to a Chinese state-run newspaper, may include Beijing placing US companies on an “unreliable entity list”.

Ross Kelly

Staff Writer

Latest News

%d bloggers like this: