Top Industry Speakers Announced for Inaugural DataTech Event
Speakers at the first-ever DataTech event, hosted by The Data Lab, include Nick Radcliffe, CEO of Stochastic Solutions.
The inaugural DataTech event, due to take place at the National Museum of Scotland on the 14th of March, will feature a host of speakers including 11 data analysts, developers and scientists from a range of sectors.
The speakers have been selected to join three keynote speakers at the event, which include Jared Lander, Debbie Bard and Mine Çetinkaya-Rundel.
DataTech is a new Technical Dat event, which forms part of DataFest19, run by The Data Lab. The event will bring together technical communities, academics and practitioners to provide a platform through which attendees can learn from one another and forge new collaborations.
The overarching theme for DataFest19 is ‘collaboration’ and doing #datatogether. It is a celebration and showcase of the groups, collectives and communities who together are forging a path for the future of data and cementing Scotland’s place in a data-driven world.
Following the success of last year’s festival, DataFest19 has been extended to two weeks. Speakers at the DataTech event will include:
- Nick Radcliffe, CEO at Stochastic Solutions; visiting professor, Department of Mathematics at the University of Edinburgh
- Valentin Radu, research associate at the University of Edinburgh’s School of Informatics
- Ben Moews, postgraduate student at the University of Edinburgh’s Institute for Astronomy
- Anastasia Ushakova, teaching fellow (postdoc tutor) at the University of Edinburgh.
- Nick Brown, data architect at EPCC
- Mathew Collison, teaching fellow at Newcastle University’s School of Computing
- Alex Gibberd, Lecturer in Statistics, Lancaster University
- Piers Campbell, data science Lead at Kainos
- Boris Mitrovic, lead data scientist at Mudano
- Benjamin Bach, lecturer for design informatics and visualization at the University of Edinburgh
- Euan Gardner, senior information development manager, NHS National Services Scotland
The speakers will cover a broad range of topics from supercomputing and deep learning to tools for data visualisation.
Nick Radcliffe will discuss the science of bad data and test-driven data analysis, while Piers Campbell will talk about a collaboration with the DVSA to improve road safety using machine learning.
Commenting on the announcement, Dr Caterina Constantinescu, data scientist at The Data Lab and Chair of DataTech’s organising committee, said: “We’re thrilled to have these 11 talented researchers and data scientists join our first-ever DataTech event.
“This event was a direct response to feedback from prior years of DataFest. It’s great to facilitate an event where Scotland’s data community can share new methods, best practices and practical applications.”
Constantinescu added: “The interest and number of submissions that DataTech has generated exceeded our expectations and is testament to Scotland’s rise a global centre of data.”
Tickets for DataFest are on sale now. For more information visit: www.datafest.global